Are you looking for a friend’s recommendation on getting the best deep cycle battery in the market?
With the vast options available today, how do you choose a battery to turn up your engine?
To help you pick, the most convenient person you need is a friend. We love to be that friend for you today. This guide will go through in-depth features of the perfect deep cycle battery.
- Lithium-ion vs. Lead-acid battery: In choosing a battery, you have to consider the type of battery first. The reason is there is a significant distinction between these two kinds of batteries. In general, the lithium-ion is far superior but more pricey than a lead-acid. The first type of battery is fast charging, usable up to 80% of its stored power, portable, and can do up to 5,000 cycles.
- Size: The capacity of the battery refers to how long you can use it. It differs by Amped Hour Rating (Ah), and the higher the number, the longer the usage of the battery. You will see tags like 50Ah, 100Ah, and 200Ah as the largest battery size.
- Durability: The battery’s capability to sustain also plays a factor in your selection. We measure the life of a battery by its discharged cycle. Deep cycle batteries are an investment because they are costly. That is why always check the number of times you can recharge and discharge the battery.
These are the top three considerations in choosing a deep cycle battery. Without further ado, find out below…
1) WEIZE 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA VRLA Battery – best cheap option
The Weize AGM SLA VRLA deep cycle battery is made in China and is ideal for camping trips and other outdoor activities. This 12 volt 100 amp hour battery is inexpensive but efficient, providing power for a more extended time.
Its constant voltage charge has cycle use of 14.40-15.00V, standby use of 13.50-13.80V, and an initial current of fewer than 30 amperes.
The best part is that it provides backup power for wheelchairs for quite a long time. So it is an excellent choice for the elderly and people with special needs.
Its high-performance power output can back up electricity blackout up to 72 hours. It can support two 12 volts LED lamps, phone chargers, cable routers during a blackout period.
The battery’s top feature is its value for the money. It is cheaper than other AGM batteries of the same capacity, yet it is durable and heavy-duty. It is considered the best cheap deep cycle battery.
This sealed lead acid rechargeable battery comes with a 1-year warranty upon purchase. Similar brands that offer the same value and power are Interstate and Exide battery.
- Easy Installation
- Secure Packaging
- Ideal for solar panels and RV house van and travel Trailer
2) RENOGY Deep Cycle AGM Battery – best value for your money
The Renogy 12V Deep Cycle AGM Battery is a popular choice in many applications due to its exceptional performance.
It is the perfect choice for standby applications like security systems and emergency lighting systems because that requires minimal monitoring.
It has a high discharge rate and a wide temperature range of operation. It is also suitable for other applications such as powering up RVs, medical devices, vessels, lawnmowers, etc.
This 12 volt 100AH deep cycle battery is built with thick AGM separators and advanced valve regulators to prevent acid leakage and regular maintenance.
And even in cold temperatures, it provides consistent electricity to your off-grid solar panel and engines.
A Renogy deep cycle AGM battery is made of high-performance material, allowing its monthly self-discharge rate to be reduced by up to 3% at 25 degrees Celsius.
The Renogy AGM battery truly offers the most dependable, convenient, and cost-effective rechargeable battery solution. You get what you pay for in a battery based on its quality and efficiency. It offers the best value for deep cycle battery options in the market.
- Excellent discharge performance
- Long shelf life
- Wide operation temperature range
3) OPTIMA D34M Bluetop Dual Purpose Deep Cycle Battery – best high-end option
Optima has been committed to producing high-quality dual-purpose deep cycle batteries that are compatible with trolling motors and RVs. It is a well-known brand of premium marine AGM batteries that is very popular among expert anglers and experienced boaters like the Optima D34M. The brand goes hand in hand with Trojan battery—a top brand.
Its ultimate power source can generate optimum starting power even in adverse weather conditions.
Unlike traditional flooded batteries, the sealed AGM in the Optima D34M does not degrade or leak. It delivers higher discharging and recharging efficiency because the AGM keeps the electrolytes suspended while in contact with the plate’s active lead material.
This one-of-a-kind battery features spiral-wound cells made up of two 99.99 percent pure lead plates to produce more consistent power.
It is highly resistant to vibrations. Spiral cell technology with a large plate area provides improved shock and vibration resistance.
At 43.5 lbs, Optima D34M is the smallest dual purpose deep cycle battery with an impressive 120 minutes of reserve capacity.
Since it is fully enclosed and self-contained, the battery can be mounted nearly anywhere. It has no risk of losing its acidity. As a result, you can position it anywhere you choose, including in cramped spaces.
The Optima D34M is more expensive than other marine batteries due to the advanced technology that has resulted in its distinct design, high performance, and comfort. Overall, this battery is highly valued and in high demand among experienced anglers and boaters. It is the best high-end deep cycle battery there is.
- Zero maintenance design
- High energy density
- Spiral cell technology
- Excellent vibration resistant
- High energy
- Adaptable in any position
- Powerful starter
Want other in-depth guides? We also have guides on the best engine driven welders, UV light sanitizers, mini metal lathes, lawn tractors, extension cords, utility room sinks, 8,000 BTU air conditioners, and cassette toilets.
Lossigy’s lithium iron phosphate battery (LifePo4) has a long life- cycle and exceptional output over a wide range of temperatures. LifePo4 batteries are the safest lithium battery today.
Using lithium batteries has many advantages over sealed lead-acid batteries in terms of efficiency. It is compatible at all temperature levels. Its cycle life is ten times that of SLA batteries. And also, in high temperatures, the LifePo4 battery has a higher cycle life.
Lossigy’s LifepO4 battery charges faster and will not overheat, burst, or burn if overcharged or exposed to high temperatures.
- Longer cycle life
- 200 amp
- Very safe
- Integrated battery management system
- State-of-the-art battery cells
- High-performance capacity
If you’re unsure where a deep cycle battery is for, I’ve listed the majority of its most common applications. A deep cycle battery has a wide range of applications.
- For marine use
- Recreational fishing boats (trolling motors)
- Off-Grid energy storage system (solar power, wind power)
- Power source on remote sites
- Industrial electrically-propelled equipment
- Recreational vehicles (golf carts, scooters, electro mobiles)
- Medical equipment
- RV van and Trail camps
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) such as for computer units
- Power source for portable audio equipment with AC/DC output
While batteries have the same essential components, such as positive and negative thermal, electrolyte fluid, or fluid acid, and most of them have slightly different designs, they are not precisely the same.
The metal components and the volume of electrolyte fluid used in the battery can be less or more, depending on the size. These factors significantly impact the amount of energy generated and the duration of the draining cycle.
A deep cycle battery may have the same physical factor as a regular battery, but the two are not the same. Thus, they are commonly known as duracell.
In general, regular batteries power up the vehicles we see on the road. That is because running a vehicle engine doesn’t usually require a large portion of electric power. The battery on cars only used a large amount of energy at startup; ergo, not compatible for extended usage. That is why factories are using fine lead and active materials on car batteries.
Regular batteries produced shorter bursts. These shorter bursts of energy are used to start up a motor or engine. The vehicles’ alternator will then provide your car with a bulk of its electricity and help recharge the battery.
These shorter bursts of energy start up a motor or engine. The alternator will then supply the majority of your car’s electricity and help recharge the battery.
The deep cycle batteries, on the other hand, are made of solid lead plates. That is why they can recharge and discharge. One of its main qualities is to provide sufficient energy for continual usage. They sustain power to different types of engines from cars on the road.
Since deep cycle batteries have thicker metal components, they provide a constant level of energy. With its continuous supply of electricity, it has enough capacity to power a vehicle.
The most well-maintained deep cycle battery will last up to six years. Though it is difficult to provide a specific number, the battery’s life is determined by how it is used, maintained, and charged.
The following are some standard (minimum-maximum) battery lifespan expectations when used in deep cycle services:
- 3 mos. Up to 1 year for Starting Batteries
- 1 to 6 years for Marine Battery types
- 2 to 7 years for Golf Cart
- 2 to 5 years for Deep Cycle Battery Gel Type
- 4 to 8 years for AGM Deep Cycle Battery
- 7 to 15 years for Rolls Deep Cycle
- Up to 20 years plus for Industrial Deep Cycle
The deep cycle battery’s life depends on the depth of discharge, how you manage it, and how often and deeply you cycle it. That is why it is helpful to know how to extend the life of a battery.
One of the simplest ways to extend the life of a battery is to use full-cycle charging rather than opportunity charging. It requires you to allow the battery a chance to be fully charged to complete the charging cycle.
On the other hand, opportunity charging entails charging the battery a little and unplugging it as needed, even though not fully charged. It can deteriorate the battery’s life.
Another consideration is proper storage. When storing a battery, make sure it is fully charged. Charging the battery completely before storing and regular checking keeps the battery in good condition even when not constantly connected to a charger.
Batteries are classified into different codes and scores based on their physical dimensions and thermal positioning. The most popular groups are Groups 24, 27, 29, and 31, which correspond to the Battery Council International or BCI group number of a battery. It has nothing to do with its generating capacity, but its physical dimensions determine the groupings to fit into your vehicles.
Some common size codes and ratings are:
70-85 Amp hours
10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875
26 x 17.3 x 22.5
85-105 Amp hours
12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875
30.6 x 17.3 x 22.5
95-125 Amp hours
13 x 6.8125 x 9.4375
33 x 17.3 x 24
60-80 Amp hours
13.00 x 6.80 x 10.00 Inches
33.02 x 17.272 x 25.04
Marine batteries are usually a combination of starting batteries and deep cycle batteries’ components. The plates are of lead sponge, much like a starting battery, except thicker and coarser, like a deep cycle battery.
Marine batteries are ideal for boat and other marine applications because they perform well to start an engine, including providing energy during the boating experience.
- Much energy for cranking and lighting.
- Pumping equipment
- Audio equipment
- Other devices for a safe and comfortable experience.
They have thicker lead plates and a durable shell case to withstand shocks and vibration when traveling around a troubled body of water.
Recreational vehicles ( RVs ) such as motorhomes, campervans, camper trailers, and travel trailers need sufficient batteries to operate. For this type of vehicle, an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery is the best choice.
AGM batteries have many benefits over other types of batteries. Thus include:
- The electrolytes will not easily leak even if the battery cracks, since the battery uses glass mats.
- They are immune from freezing damage because there is no liquid to freeze and expand.
- Uses a universal charging voltage as to the regular batteries.
- Compatible with any charging controls and adjustments.
- It will not overheat under heavy charge and discharge because it has low internal resistance.
- It has no discharge current limit.
- It has a very low self-discharge, so it can be stored for a very long period without charging.
- It can still be charged up to 95 percent even if it is idle for 30 days.
- Since it has no liquid, even though severely overcharged, there is no spillage, which is ideal in an enclosed compartment.
- The plates are securely built and well-mounted, allowing them to withstand extreme shock and vibrations.
All of the benefits mentioned above support the idea that AGM deep cycle batteries are suitable batteries for RVs.
Based on theoretical calculations, a 12V 100Ah deep cycle battery can run for up to 1000 hours, or a maximum of 41.6 days when fully charged. It would, however, maximize the current draw based on the wattage, the duration of usage, and the number of devices or appliances you are using.
It means that if you use the battery for a few minutes a day, it will last longer. The greater the load, the faster it drains. And if the battery is only used for 5 minutes a day, it would last for 100 days.
For example, a 12v 10amps hairdryer can draw up to 12 hours of 100Ah battery use, or a 100watt unit can draw a 100Ah battery current of up to 20 hours.
In general, deep cycle batteries are lead-acid, whether they are flooded batteries, gel batteries, or AGM. They only differ in plate design, but they do use the same components.
Batteries cannot generate current on their own. It only stores electricity when charged. Inefficient batteries lose energy quicker due to heat and chemical reactions during charging and discharging. The better a battery works, the higher its efficiency.
In general, as the temperature drops, the battery’s capacity decreases; as the temperature rises, the capacity increases. During the cold seasons, it lacks its power. During cold weather, the charging voltage drops along with the capacity.